The Recommendations tab allows students or administrators the opportunity to send requests to potential recommenders. Recommenders, in turn, can create and upload recommendations for the applicant to the WizeHive system. You can only use Recommendations with Application Forms.
The Recommendation tab can alternatively be used for request and upload of other required documents for a program in WizeHive. This feature is particularly helpful in cases where the administrator wants applicants to reach out to other parties to submit the information that will supplement the application in question.
In this article
Now you may begin creating and managing the recommendation form. Navigate to the Recommendations tab of your workspace, in the upper right corner of the Recommendations tab there will be a button for "Settings." Click on the "Settings" button.
This will be the window that appears:
- Max Recommendations: The highest number of recommendations that are to be requested per applicant
- Min Recommendations: The lowest number of recommendations that should be tracked
- Update Recommendations: This will allow the applicant to update and make edits to their recommendation requests. If they can update their recommendations before submitting their application, select "yes."
- Student Driven: This selection refers to whether the student or the administrator should request the recommendations.
If YES is selected, this is the view that the applicants will see in the menu screen of their form:
Once the student clicks on this tab, he is able to choose a reference, and request a recommendation from them via email. He can also add a personal message should he choose. In the recommendation settings, if student driven isn’t set to “Yes” then the student cannot add a personal message.
If No is selected, there is in charge of selecting recommenders (this is rarely used).
- Require Completion of Recommendations Before Allowing Submission?: When set to yes, the applicant will not be able to Submit their form until all recommenders submit their recommendations.
- Applicant Header Text: This text appears at the top of the form where the applicant fills out the recommender's information, this text is pointed out below.
- Applicant Instructions: This text appears after an applicant presses Save & Exit or Save & Add Another.Change this text if you wish to edit the instructions for the applicant. Note this option only appears if Student Driven is marked Yes. This text is pointed out below:
- Recommendation Email Subject: Subject line of the email that is sent to the recommender.
- Recommendation Message: This is the email that is sent to the recommender requesting that they upload a recommendation.
- Recommender instruction: Text that appears on the page where recommenders upload recommendations. This text is pointed out below
NOTE: You can edit these instructions as you choose, however just know, you cannot personalize the content of these instructions. For example if you insert the [ApplicantName] bracket to automatically personalize these instructions to the specific applicant, the instructions will physically display "[ApplicantName]" instead of "John Smith"
- Automatic Reminders: Sends out a reminder email every set amount of time until the form closes. You must have an end date set for the form to use this feature. The option to copy the applicant on the email is also an option.
- Notify Applicant When Recommendations Completed: When marked Yes, an email is sent to the applicant either all or one (decided by the next property) of their recommendations have been submitted.
- Notify Applicant When Each Recommendation is Completed: Only appears when the previous property is marked Yes. When this is marked Yes, the applicant receives an email alerting them every time a recommender completes a recommendation. When marked no, they only receive an email when all recommendations are complete.
- Modify Column Settings: Allows the user to select what fields appears in the chart of the Recommendations Tab.
Using Custom Recommendation Forms
Note that you can opt to use your own Contact form and your own Recommendation form.
The default Contact form asks for first name, last name, email, title, and phone number. The default Recommendation form is just an upload field.
To use the custom data form, click Contact data form and change the selection from <Use default form> to either <Create new form> if the form does not exist yet, or select a form you haven't already created. Once a form is selected, a new field will appear called Email field. You must select the email address field from your contact form here to ensure that the recommendation request is sent to an email address.
To use the custom recommendation form, in the Recommendation type field, change from File Upload (classic) to use Custom form. A new field will appear where you can select your custom form from the dropdown or create a new form.
Tracking Recommendation Status
Once the applicant has sent the recommendation requests, the requests can be tracked in the Recommendations tab. Through this tab, the administrator can see which applicants have requested recommendations. Similarly, administrators can view which of the recommendations have not yet been submitted by the recommenders.
Reports can be created that indicate the Recommendation details (e.g. Name, Status, Contact Date, Response Date, .etc) and can be exported and printed. Data will be exported in a .csv format that can be opened in Excel.
The Emails feature on the recommendations tab can be used to resend emails to recommenders. There are options to send a 1st email and a 2nd email. When you select the check box next to an applicant and click either the "1st Email" or "2nd Email" option, you will have a chance to enter an email address, subject and a message to be sent to the recommender that the student entered. On this screen you have the option to "Edit template" which will allow you to edit the template (some people use the same template that is first sent to the recommender) to be send to the recommender in question and save it for future use. You can also get to this function by clicking actions next to the applicant's name in the chart.
By clicking a field in the Fields section, you can bring the applicants answer to that field in the email. For example, in the email below, if the Applicant's name is John, the email will read, "John has asked that ...".
Editing a Recommendation Request
To modify a recommendation request the applicant can go back into their application and edit and save their request again. If an administrator of the workspace wants to edit a request, they can go to the Recommendations tab, click actions next to the applicant's name, and click edit. This will bring up an Edit Recommendation screen where you can edit the student's recommendation. Remember to hit Save after you've made your changes.